Saturday, July 12, 2014

Cityline Rio and Mars Macrophylla Hydrangea

I planted 2 Rio Hydrangeas in early fall 2011.  Smaller, compact, blooms on old wood, and slow growing hydrangea.  Tends to bloom very late in the season for me but is described as an early bloomer by the Proven Winners website.  However, they do receive only morning sun and may be earlier bloomers if planted in a sunnier spot.  The foliage begins in the spring and is very beautiful, dark forest green, medium shaped leaves.  In the past they have bloomed more purple than blue but I'm hoping to see more blue this season from amending the soil earlier this spring.  The blooms are very large and long lasting.  In the winter the wood stalks are very hardy and are unaffected my winter winds.

Here are some spring photos:





So, I'm actually starting to consider that these hydrangeas might be Cityline MARS versus RIO but I will find out later as the season progresses.


Update:  6.16.2014



MARS
RIO
Update: 7.9.2014:



MARS




No comments:

Post a Comment